Monday, August 27, 2012

What kind of laundry detergent do you use?

We have gone back and forth on this for a while . At one point, we were discussing using Melaleuca's detergent. My husband's mother was a consultant when he was a child though and Michael felt his clothes never really smelled clean when they used it. So he nixed that idea.

We have been using free and clear detergents although I know they have additives that aren't very healthy for us. We use baking soda as a laundry booster and to help fight odors. We also use vinegar as a fabric softener.

I currently am awaiting an order that I placed for Tropical Traditions laundry detergent (which is on back order so it is taking a little while to arrive). We'll see what we think about that after it arrives. This is the detergent I am waiting for:
Household Traditions Powdered Laundry Detergent - 5 lb.










***If you order by clicking on any of my links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.***




In the meantime, I recently came across this article and now we are debating about making our own detergent. We will wait and see how the Tropical Traditions detergent goes first before we make our decision for sure though. It doesn't look terribly difficult and it looks like you make a LOT at one time so you don't have to make it very often.

We specifically wanted a powder form of homemade detergent because we personally feel it would spread further AND there is no ongoing mixing, stirring, or shaking involved. We will probably invest in some lemongrass essential oil for it's microbial benefits.

1 comment:

  1. Currently I've been using CleanB on the diaper laundry, its a powder and i think the lady who makes it closed her store:-(. For our clothes I've been using a mixture washing soda, borax and sun oxygen cleaner. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete