Saturday, November 3, 2012

Breastfeeding For Two Years...and Counting!

*****WARNING - THIS BLOG POST CONTAINS PICTURES OF BREASTFEEDING. IF THAT BOTHERS YOU FOR ANY REASON, PLEASE IGNORE THIS BLOG POST. IF YOU CHOOSE TO POST HATEFUL, HURTFUL, DEMORALIZING COMMENTS, THEY WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR POSTING.*****



Daniella was born at 11:55 pm on October 29, 2010. She latched and breastfed wonderfully as a newborn. (Much better than big brother did!) She never took to a bottle. We tried a few times, but she never drank more than an ounce of my pumped milk. We even tried my milk in a sippy cup as she got older. She never drank more than 1/3 of a cup that way either. She has never had even a single drop of formula.


Less than 24 hours old :)



Daniella has always loved to nurse. SO much so that we have bed-shared. Try as we might over the last several months to transition her to her own toddler bed, she typically only takes a nap in there before joining us for the night.

I attended our local Big Latch On event with my doula, Chrissy, in August 2011.




It was around 14 months old that Daniella learned how to tell me verbally that she wanted to nurse. Prior to that, she used sign language to tell me the word "milk".

14 months old






She especially loves to nurse when she is sleepy!  19 months old.

But you know what? I love to nurse her. I love that special moment of just her and me. She acts very goofy some days, very lovey other days. And very cranky other days! :)


Some have wondered when our breastfeeding journey will end. It will end when Daniella decides it will end. Yes, there are days when I feel all touched out. Yes, there are days it feels like she will rip off my nipple because of the odd positions she chooses to nurse in. Yes, she has bitten me...countless times. (I simply remove her from the breast.) There have been days where I have wanted to wean her.

19 months old

But you know what? I love to nurse her. I love that special moment of just her and me. She acts very goofy some days, very lovey other days. And very cranky other days! :)

But our journey continues...we are now at a point where she typically nurses about 5 times within 24 hours. Yes, she has not night weaned. She nurses 1-2 times per night. Yes, I have not had a single night of uninterrupted sleep in over two years. There was ONE night where she slept 7 hours straight in her toddler bed...and I laid awake all night wondering if she was breathing! :D


 And then we reached 22 months old...which was the age where I weaned my son due to his multiple food allergies (that he has thankfully since outgrown!)...it was a very hard decision to wean him but it was so hard removing all of the allergens from his diet....let alone mine. I was so proud that Daniella had nursed as long as Brandon had!

22 months old

22 months old


And then...amazingly, our breastfeeding journey continued....and now Daniella is 2! She is such a big girl! And she is still breastfeeding.

She typically nurses first thing in the morning

Before and/or after naptime

And before bedtime

Usually - she wants to nurse when she is tired - see those droopy eyes?

And...then she is fast asleep!


I treasure these moments. I have no idea how much longer they will last. I have no idea if she will be my last nursling. So, until she is ready - Daniella will continue to breastfeed.