Saturday, March 9, 2013

It is Official - We Are a Homeschooling Family!



Okay, let me take a couple of big deep breaths after saying that. (in...out....in....out) Okay, I am super nervous about this. After our son had yet another allergic reaction at school on Friday, we made the ultimate decision to withdraw him from his fantastic charter school (I cried as we said good-bye to his wonderful teachers!).

I have spent countless hours on Pinterest in the last few days preparing for this. I am sure I will spend countless more hours there this weekend. (By the way, if you haven't found me on Pinterest yet - go follow me now! :) ) I added almost 10 new boards just for homeschooling.

I think my biggest worry is knowing if I am giving him all that he needs educationally. Knowing that he has mastered a skill enough to move forward with it. Figuring out the way our state does standardized testing on homeschooled children (yes, I already filed my Intent to Homeschool form to the state DOE).

I think my next worry is what our family and friends will think. We are already "different" than most people we know in regards to societal norms. And now we are one of "those" homeschooliing families. Luckily, I have a few friends who already homeschool so I am very grateful to have them help guide me through the ropes and have a beginning network from which to have social activities and educational field trips with friends.

Next, I am working hard on curriculum stuff. I have already selected a curriculum. Because I work from home, I needed a curriculum that would be mostly self-guided for Brandon to use. I also needed to make sure that the cost was minimal or non-existent. Luckily, a homeschooling friend pointed me to Easy Peasy All-In-One Homeschool. I love it! But, I do feel the need to supplement it some. Brandon's charter school had a Spanish program so I want to keep him learning that. He is also interested in learning American Sign Language and how to better his drawing skills. So I want to help him focus on his interests.





So...that is where I am. Do you homeschool?

2 comments:

  1. I definitely know it is a concern to worry about what people will think, but really it doesn't ultimately matter. If you feel like you are doing the best thing for your family, then go for it!

    ReplyDelete