Sunday, June 23, 2013

Grain Free, Gluten Free Blueberry Bread


Over the last couple of years as we have tried various grain free and/or gluten free bread recipes, I have yet to have baked one that was palatable - until today!

This bread was actually good. I would not say that I loved it, but my picky about bread son LOVED it and gobbled up two big slices! One slice was very filling to me. I did like it. I may tweak it slightly next time to have a little less flax meal and a little more coconut flour. But I think that is just a textural thing for me, plus I really love coconut.


Here are the ingredients that you need: 

1 cup ground flax meal
1 cup almond flour, sifted
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
About 20 drops of liquid stevia (or to taste)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup raw, chopped walnuts (optional)
5 eggs, preferably free range
1/3 cup filtered water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of blueberries either fresh or thawed frozen
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp melted coconut oil, 
2 tbsp melted unsalted butter, preferably organic

First, you are going to want to pre-heat your oven to 350*. Then grease your loaf pan with coconut oil and line it with parchment paper.

Next, in a large mixing bowl, add all of your dry ingredients.








Then add your liquid stevia (you can substitute a powdered version of about 1/2 cup OR you can use xylitol!).



Then blend it all well, preferably with a whisk.


Then, in a small mixing bowl, add your eggs and water and whisk them together.



Add the rest of the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.




Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients making sure to stir while pouring until blended well.



Then add your blueberries.


Gently fold the blueberries in until blended well.

Pour evenly into your loaf pan.




Bake for 60-70 minutes. The crust will be quite brown and will feel firm when touched when done. Insert a knife to see that it comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to sit for five minutes.Loosen the bread of the loaf pan edges by running a knife around the edges of the bread. Lift it out of the loaf pan by grasping and lifting the parchment paper. 

Enjoy with lots of butter!




6 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious and healthy. We love blueberries. One of our favorite things to do in summer is go pick them from a local farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son especially loved it! We all love blueberries!!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I will have to try it out for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love blueberries as much as my family does, you are bound to enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I am always trying to find that perfect combination for bread too, as my son has a gluten free diet. I will definitely try this combo and maybe with some other fruits as well, like banana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be delicious with bananas, pumpkin, zucchini or even strawberry!

      Delete