Sunday, September 15, 2013

Homeschooling and/or Unschooling With Pinterest Series, Post Two


How many of you love Pinterest? I know that I do! I am frequently on Pinterest looking for ideas to use with my children for their learning. This is our first full year of homeschooling and we are definitely beginning to lean more heavily towards unschooling our kids. I currently have over 200 boards on Pinterest, easily divided up into categories so that I can find exactly what I am looking for that goes along best with my children's current interest!

You can find all of my Pinterest boards at BeckyatGUNIHCC.

This post will be the second in a series that will highlight the various boards that I have available. The first post focused more on my almost three year old daughter who is currently doing upper preschool/lower pre-k work. Please see the first post in this series which focused on teaching your child about rhyming and learning to write their name.

This second post will focus on Autumn and all of the fun learning that it involves - leaves, acorns, pumpkins, corn, and more! I tend to focus more on Autumn in October and then switch to Thanksgiving in November (Keep your eye out for a separate post for that subject!). I also tend to do a lot of corn related activities at the end of November as a lead into Kwanzaa activities in December.


Autumn




I have a Pinterest board entitled October/Autumn is Here! that focuses on everything fall themed - leaves, acorns, squirrels, scarecrows, pumpkins, and more! Here are some activities that you will find there:

Fall sensory play activities

Labeling the parts of an apple

 Activities that correlate with 10 Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss 

GeomeTREES - incorporating geometric shapes

Autumn Scavenger Hunts

Full apple units (includes lots of printables)

Full pumpkin units (includes lots of printables)

Pumpkin songs

Lifecycle of an apple activity

Various leaf projects

Owl grid game (my kids LOVE grid games!)

Printable owl template

Lifecycle of an apple tree animation YouTube video

Crow craft




AND SO MUCH MORE! With over 100 pins on this board, you are sure to find plenty of ideas to help your children learn!


Incorporating Worksheets


Do your kids like to do worksheets? If so, you will definitely want to check out my Autumn Themed Worksheets Pinterest board.


On this board, you will find:

Counting apples worksheet

Autumn Number Maze worksheets

Autumn color, count and add worksheets

Smiling Scarecrows same/different worksheet

Labeling the parts of an apple worksheet

Autumn tracing lines worksheet

H is for Harvest matching colors worksheet

Add Your Own Face Scarecrow coloring page

And more! There are approximately 50 pins on this board.




Cooking With Kids

How much of your learning happens in the kitchen? If your kids love the kitchen as much as mine do, you will want to check my Autumn Themed Snacks Pinterest board!


This board includes recipes for:

Acorn Cookies 

Pine Cone cakes

Cinnamon apples

Acorn Donuts

Coconut Raisin Apples

Baked Apples

Pumpkin Dip in a Pumpkin

Pumpkin Banana Bread

Pumpkin Pie-sicles

Snickerdoodle and Pumpkin Cream Cheese sandwiches

Pumpkin Granola

Pumpkin Cheese Balls


With over 50 pins on this board, you are bound to find something for everyone in the family to enjoy making AND eating! 





Well, I hope that these boards come in handy to help you with your homeschooling or unschooling lessons. Please feel free to follow these boards, any others or all of my boards on Pinterest! 

What current interests do your children have? Do you think that Pinterest could help you teach them about it? 

I would love to hear your thoughts about this post and any ideas for future posts in this series!