Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Homeschooling and/or Unschooling With Pinterest Series, Post Three


How many of you love Pinterest? I know that I do! I am frequently on Pinterest looking for ideas to use with my children for their learning. This is our first full year of homeschooling and we are definitely beginning to lean more heavily towards unschooling our kids. I currently have over 200 boards on Pinterest, easily divided up into categories so that I can find exactly what I am looking for that goes along best with my children's current interest!

You can find all of my Pinterest boards at BeckyatGUNIHCC.

This post will be the third in a series that will highlight the various boards that I have available. The first post focused more on my almost three year old daughter who is currently doing upper preschool/lower pre-k work. Please see the first post in this series which focused on teaching your child about rhyming and learning to write their name and the second post which featured all things related to Autumn, including worksheets, snacks, activities and more!

This third post will focus on Thanksgiving, corn, turkeys, food in general and more! I tend to focus more on corn the week after Thanksgiving as a lead into Kwanzaa activities in December. I know that it is a little bit early to be thinking about Thanksgiving, but I wanted to put it out there before everyone got caught up with Christmas!




Thanksgiving and Food

The main board that I use for Thanksgiving activities is entitled November/Gobbling Up Our Food. Things featured on this board include:

A generic printable Thanksgiving board game (make up your own rules!)

Candy Corn counting station

Guess how many acorns are in the bowl estimating activity

Turkey feathers game

Don't Eat Tom Turkey game

Fall Leaves Turkey Craft

YouTube video of "Ten Fat Turkeys"

Carrot footprint craft

Color Matching a Balanced Meal activity

Turkey Color Matching Game

Pumpkin Pie Craft

Food Groups Craft

Pilgrims Ship Craft

and lots more! There are over 40 pins on this board. Something for everyone!




Thanksgiving Snack Ideas

How much of your learning happens in the kitchen? If your kids love the kitchen as much as mine do, you will want to check my Thanksgiving Themed Snacks Pinterest board.

This board includes recipes for:

Pilgrim Hat Cookies

Apple Turkey

Edible Indian Corn

Spiced Pecans

2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies

Sweet Potato Bites

TeePee Cupcakes

Turkey Tracks Cracker Snack

Turkey Lunch

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Acorns

Turkey in the Straw Treat

and more! This board has about 20 pins on it.




Incorporating Worksheets

Do your kids like to do worksheets? If so, you will definitely want to check out my Thanksgiving/Food Themed Worksheets Pinterest board.

On this board, you will find:

Thanksgiving Word Scrambles

Thanksgiving Crossword Puzzles

Learning Sizes Worksheet (featuring vegetables)

Native American Tribes worksheets

Thanksgiving Acrostic Poems worksheet

Label a Turkey worksheet

Tracing the Words Vegetable Worksheet

Color a Native American Dreamcatcher worksheet

Thanksgiving Grocery List worksheet (alphabetical order)

Thanksgiving Analogies worksheet

Feasting on Subtraction Facts

Color by letter Turkeys

What Doesn't Belong? Fruits and Veggies worksheet

Find Your Way Through the Healthy Foods Maze

Food Matching Worksheet

and so much more! This board has over 50 pins so you are bound to find something your child will enjoy working on.





Well, I hope that these boards come in handy to help you with your homeschooling or unschooling lessons. Please feel free to follow these boards, any others or all of my boards on Pinterest! 

What current interests do your children have? Do you think that Pinterest could help you teach them about it? 

I would love to hear your thoughts about this post and any ideas for future posts in this series!