Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Trebellina Music Teaching Series - Introducing Trebellina Review

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
 
 
This DVD is musical in nature with the idea of introducing young children to basic music concepts such as various musical instruments such as the piano and percussion, (and history information about them), pitch and tones, musical notes and scales and more. It is very colorful and includes music from famous composers such as Pachelbel, Beethoven, and Mozart.




It begins by showing the children how to warm up by singing the scales, then it shows them where those notes are on the scale and plays the corresponding note on the piano. Trebellina and her friends discuss rests, rhythm and other musical concepts in a way to help little children understand.



This Trebellina DVD is geared towards children ages 1-4, but could easily engage children up to age six, in my opinion. Truthfully, children of all ages could learn a few things from this DVD.



The DVD came with a short list of Trebellina's Teaching Tips for parents to expand on the concepts introduced in the DVD. There are several great tips included there!


What we think about Trebellina -

The first time we watched it, Daniella wasn't too interested. She definitely listened much more than she watched. Yet, I find it intriguing that despite that, during her first viewing, she grasped the concept that the scales go from ABCDEFG back to A, not to H, as I would think that most young children would assume.

Brandon is attempting to teach himself how to play the piano. He like the part when the DVD played  "Old MacDonald" during the two minute break and how piano keys came on the screen and they lit up with the corresponding key when each note of the song was played.

Daniella enjoyed dancing along with the DVD's fun tunes. She also enjoys mimicking the scales.

My opinion? Unfortunately, I found some of the characters' voices to be slightly annoying. But I think that it is a great ensemble of introductory, basic lessons for the young about music to help young children grasp the concepts. I do like that they included written words on the screen as well, but how the words moved around and the letters bounced was distracting. I also lied that it showed various instruments actually being played, not just their sounds. The little kids moving and grooving and playing the instruments were super cute, too.

Overall, I think this DVD is best for the age group listed on it (1-4). It is fantastic for introducing music in a fun way. I am excited to see the next part in the series!

There are other Trebellina products available such as tshirts with the characters on them, flashcards, a memory game, and stickers.


We did have an issue with the case our DVD came in. The very first time Daniella opened it (she has opened many other DVD cases before and this has never happened with others), the bottom of the case cracked and splintered into several sharp shards.





I have no idea what caused this to happen, but I caution you to be careful with your little ones. I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.