Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday, A Day of Reflection

 
 
Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. 46 Days stand between today and Easter morning. What a celebration that will be! For now, let's reflect together about where we are and where we want to be or where we want to go.
 
 

 
According to Wikipedia - Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent in the Western Christian calendar, directly following Shrove Tuesday. Occurring 46 days before Easter, it is a moveable feast that can fall as early as February 4 and as late as March 10.
According to the canonical gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the desert, where he endured temptation by Satan.. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of this 40-day liturgical period of prayer and fasting or abstinence. Of the 46 days until Easter, six are Sundays. As the Christian sabbath, Sundays are not included in the fasting period and are instead "feast" days during Lent.
 
 
As I posted yesterday, this year for Lent, I have decided to give back, instead of giving up. I will do at least 40 Random Acts of Kindness during the 40 Days of Lent.
 

 
I debated as to if sharing my Random Acts of Kindness in Honor of Lent would depreciate my efforts. Will it seem like I am bragging about being kind towards others? Could it make others feel competitive with me? Would it lead to spiritual pride on my part? If I hear about the sacrifices others are making, will it make my Random Acts of Kindness seem insufficient? Or could it make me feel that I should be trying to do something even more difficult or more sacrificial? Or could it possibly challenge me and help me want to further support others in their sacrifices?
 

A little Ash Wednesday humor for you.
 
My hopes are to:
 
1. Inspire you.
2. Help you reflect on how you treat others.
3. Help me reflect on how I treat others as I certainly have room for growth.
4. Be held accountable. By posting what I am doing, I am keeping myself accountable for following through on what I promised myself I would do.
 

 
 
While you reflect this Lent, remember that you don't have to carry all of your burdens. Let Christ help you carry them.