Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 17 of 40 Days of Random Acts of Kindness in Honor of Lent 2014



I am thoroughly enjoying doing these Random Acts of Kindness for my Giving Back Instead of Giving Up project. It's helping me clean out my house while helping others. Today's RAOK involved some work over the weekend. We are slowly working at completely emptying out our old office. It doesn't get used anymore now that we have a school room/play room for our homeschooling needs and both of our computers are in there.


The closet was full of maternity clothes and baby clothes, cloth diapers, and baby gear. Obviously, stuff we are not currently using, but since we are hoping to still have more children, it's not stuff that we are looking at parting with yet. But I wanted it out of this closet to empty the room. The next logical place to move it was the walk in closet in our master bedroom...but it was crammed full of boxes. When I say full of boxes, I mean it.


As a blogger, I receive a lot of mail. Most of it arrives in boxes of all sizes. Plus, since we heavily watch the ingredients of our food and products we use in our home, we place regular mail orders through reputable companies. Because of this , the boxes have added up over the last couple of years.


 
 
All of this AND MORE was in my walk in closet. I sorted through them and kept about a dozen that are the right size to wrap a gift in or ship something to our nieces or nephews.

 
 
There was also a significant amount of bubble wrap and shipping paper in the closet.

 
 
By now, I am sure that you are wondering what all of this has to do with my Giving Back Instead of Giving Up project. Well, recently a local friend commented that they will be moving soon and she is looking for boxes, bubble wrap, and shipping paper. That post on Facebook motivated me to clean out my closet! Helping her was a bonus. :)
 
Unfortunately, not very many of these boxes were compatible for her needs so the rest will make their way into our compost.
 
I guess the point that I am trying to make is that RAsOK can be fairly small or insignificant, but that doesn't mean that the amount of kindness generated from them isn't BIG!