Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent Begins Tomorrow - Giving Back, Instead of Giving Up

 
 
I contemplated a lot over the last month trying to figure out what I was going to give up for Lent. Being newly gluten free, I knew that I couldn't give up anything food related right now. Going gluten free involves a lot of food restrictions as it is. So...chocolate stays! :)
 
 
 
I also knew that I couldn't give up social media or the Internet for Lent. Being a blogger and a homeschooling parent, I need to use the Internet for promoting my blog and all of the daily researching and learning that we do online (Yes, we. I learn a lot right beside my kids!). So, that was out.
 
 
I shared my dilemma on my personal Facebook page and I got a TON of feedback! I have such wonderful friends and relatives. Brandon's aunt recommended that instead of giving up something, I consider reflection or a way to give back. Sooooo....
 
 
I have decided to do 40 Days of Random Acts of Kindness in Honor of Lent. I want to spend this 40 days thinking about others, how I can give back (and do it on a budget), de-clutter our home (live more minimalistic), be grateful for special people in my life, and teach my children about how giving is truly better than receiving.
 
 



After you receive your ashes tomorrow ("Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."), please check back in here, and daily thereafter, to check in to see what my Act of Kindness for the day was! Yes, I plan to share my journey with you!