Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Reflecting on Lent 2014

 
 
Now that Lent has ended, I wanted to take some time to reflect on my Giving Back Instead of Giving Up project.
I spent 40 Days thinking about others and how I could help them. What could I do to give back to my community, my family, my friends, etc., but not completely break my wallet? I enjoyed finding many ways to do this, but I am very introverted and I enjoy living in my little shell. This forced my hand at reaching outside of my comfort zone.  
I think that the hardest part was fearing somebody "catching me in the act". I didn't want someone to see me leaving something somewhere for it to benefit someone. I didn't want public acknowledgement...I know that sounds strange because blogged about my experience. Why would I blog about it if I didn't want acknowledgement? I blogged about my experience doing this for two reasons: 
 
 
1. To hold myself accountable. Knowing that I had to blog about what I did each day pushed me and motivated me even on those days (and yes, it happened a few times) when I honestly just didn't feel like it. But I did it anyway because it wasn't just about me, it was about affecting others...which leads me to reason number two.
 
2. To inspire others. I wanted others to pay it forward. I wanted others to remember to think about ways that they could help someone else. I wanted people to reach out to one other with a caring heart.
 
 
 
Did that happen? I don't know...you tell me. Did I inspire any of you?